Fiber Optic Underground/Splicer Technician at Prince Telecom in Bluffdale, UT (Job ID 2022-3767)
Prince Telecom, a national leader in the telecommunications field, is hiring for Fiber Optic Underground/Splicer Technician in Salt Lake City, UT area. We offer growth potential, PAID training, and competitive benefits for qualified applicants.
- Surveying the customer's home and plan route for drop.
- Make customer contact. Check all locations to plan routes for drop.
- Check for sprinklers and dog fences or any other customer run utilities to plan routes for drop.
- Pull 2 count flat fiber and tone-able mule tape through conduit from NAP vault to customer's vault.
- Hand digging under the customer's vault to get fiber out of the vault to run to the house.
- Do sidewalk bores when applicable by digging on either side and running the machine with bore rods or drill and flex bit.
- Hand digging a foot deep at the house to bury sweep.
- Attach sweep to riser up to the NID. Install NID.
- Pull fiber through sweep and riser and coil up extra for splicer.
- Operating a Ditch Witch 410sx either using the machine or hand digging a trench from customer vault to the NID at a minimum of an 8" depth.
- Placing the fiber and tracer wire in the trench and filling the trench back up.
- Yard restoration/clean up.
- Record all tick marks and reel numbers. Follow all OSHA safety and Prince Telecom safety requirements.
Aerial Drop Duties:
- Survey pole routes.
- Make customer contact.
- Run 2 count flat fiber from NAP to House by required pole route.
- Install Span clamps, J hooks, and P hooks.
- Use wedge hangers to secure fiber.
- Install NID at the house.
- Record all tick marks and fiber reel numbers.
- Follow all KCPL safety requirements. Follow all OSHA safety and Prince Telecom safety requirements.
Splicer Technician Responsibilities:
Performs tasks associated with the electronic upgrade and splicing of cable
Test, activate, and troubleshoot equipment after installation
Basic daily maintenance of provided vehicle: check fluids, clean and organize vehicle
Self-supervise all operations to ensure that all splicing operations are completed in accordance with customer and industry specifications.
Safely operate and use bucket truck to complete daily construction assignments as needed (potentially climb poles)
Field train and control/oversee the work of other Splicers when necessary.
Complete daily production reports, mark-up maps, keep track of work hours, complete "as-built maps" for areas built and track daily production
Reconcile all issued parts and materials on a daily basis to ensure accurate material usage counts.
Frequently work independently
Other splicing related duties as assigned
- Previous experience splicing fiber optic and/or copper cable preferred, training available.
- Ability to distinguish colors
- Must be able to read and build from blueprints and/or wire diagrams
- Have knowledge of telecommunications network structure
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Possess a valid driver's license or be eligible and willing to obtain the required license for the position
- Must be able to work nights and weekends, if necessary
- Ability to lift weight up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to carry a 28' ladder from truck to pole and/or house
- Working in all weather
- Walking & sitting/kneeling & crouching
Benefits and Company Summary
- Paid Time-Off
- Paid Holidays
- Company Vehicle
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance/Long Term Disability/Short Term Disability
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Company Stock Purchase P
Equal Opportunity Employer
Our Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind including, based on disability and protected veteran status. The Company's policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also the Company's policy to comply with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions. Please visit the following URL to view the EEO is the Law poster and the Supplement. (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm)
Apply on company website